Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Purple Independence

I was so excited! My physical therapist had nominated me for a bike!

The McLindon Foundation provided the bike for me after St. Jude’s Apostle School raised money for it. They presented it to me at St. Jude’s Apostle School and even made a tunnel for me to ride it through! Afterwards, I addressed the whole school, saying how thankful I was for the bike and the fact that the school raised money for it. My heart was pounding and I was shaking the entire time. After that, I was interviewed by WAFB and the story was put on the news that night! It was such an exciting day!
   I felt so grateful to all of them, but I also felt happy for other reasons. Now I had my own bike—a purple one, my favorite color! I felt like I had independence. Now I could go my own pace. And I wouldn’t fall off because of the bike’s three wheels!
   My bike is so much more to me than just a bike. It allows me to spend time with my family when we go biking. My own bike means that I can keep up with everyone else. And that is one reason why I named my bike Purple Independence.
   Another reason is that I had always ridden on a tandem bike that my dad controlled. Now I was in control, and it felt great! I loved the feeling of the wind rushing in my face. I controlled everything my bike did. Me...In control! That meant for me, independence. Purple Independence!