Wednesday, August 7, 2019

A Piece of What It’s Like To Have Anxiety




Imagine this—You can’t sleep. You’ve gotten comfortable and done all you can do to fall asleep. You can’t turn off the thoughts in your head. You’re stuck in your mind and you can’t get out. Think of the beach. You’re standing in the squishy sand and you close your eyes. You try to tune out the rolling ocean waves, but you can’t. That’s how I feel with my anxiety. I feel like I’m having a wrestling match with my mind and my mind is winning.
  My head is buzzing with thoughts, issues that maybe don’t affect me right now, but they will affect me someday soon. Sometimes what helps with my anxiety is writing down my thoughts or worries. Then I usually talk about them with one of my parents. Even if you don’t have anyone to talk about your worries with, you can still write them down. If you have something you need to take care of soon and are worried you will forget it, sometimes if you write it down it may ease your anxiety. I usually write in my anxiety notebook at night and keep it by my bed so that if I have something I need to write down during the night, then I can. I can look at what I wrote the next day. If you are having anxiety, you are not alone. Plenty of other people are having anxiety, too. Everyone’s anxiety is different, so people may not know exactly what you’re going through, but they understand. I hope this strategy helps to ease your anxiety. Good luck! I’m rooting for you!