Friday, March 3, 2023

The Reflection In The Water

Water

No one tells it what to be, how to be

Water flows continuously, 

water keeps going, 

Content with what it is.


Made up of many molecules, all vital for the element

I, too,

Am composed of so many things

All essential to make me who I am

Though it is not always

Viewed that way.


And when the moon is risen

Darkness has fallen on the world,

there is light, reflection, in the lakes and rivers,

Reflection in ourselves.


Reflected in the water, I am

Crooked

Light refracted

Simply the girl who has the

Awkward smile,

thoughts she doesn’t

Say,

Emotions in her eyes,

and legs that are her chains—but only if

That girl allows

Her legs to define her.


I make a choice

When I look at my

Reflection

One foot on the water

The reflection ripples, is

Gone,

Unreliable.

Unreliable like my legs can be

Unreliable as my steps, legs shaky,

One foot drags behind me,

Binding me, holding me

Down

But I am not the way I walk


When I look into the water, there is so much

And so little

I can see

I can see how I hold myself

I can see my legs,

I can see all the little things

The tells

Fingers digging into my skin;

Arms tight with anxiety;

Head tilted downward;

Eyes meeting the floor—

That make me

How I don’t want to be seen.

The way 

I don’t want others 

To view me.


When I look into my reflection,

I wonder

Is my reflection all that other people see?


There is so much more

Beneath the surface of the water

So much more

Beneath my surface

If only people are brave enough 

To dive beneath the water


God put my cerebral palsy

On my surface

God put my

Crossed eyes

Hesitant smile 

Crooked legs

on my surface

But what a blessing it is

My reflection isn’t all of me


Through my reflection

I teach others to see

Not everything is as it seems

Not everything can easily be defined

Not everything can fit into a label

I am not made up of labels.


For those that choose to see

My inside

Hopefully you see


The happiness 

in my awkward smile

The emotions 

in my crossed eyes

The effort

 in my gait

And all that my reflection can’t

Show you,

Or tell you.


My reflection can’t tell you

How grateful I am for kindness

My reflection can't tell you

My passions

My goals

All I have gone through,

All I have done.


My reflection is limited,

Is so flawed

Not just because 

my legs are flawed

But because

The reflexion shows my physical struggles

Only

My outward appearance

Only

My reflection is accurate to those who see 

With their eyes,

Not with their heart.


Water goes with the flow

Is content with the way it is

Water offers so much to the world

Is seemingly simple,

But made up of so many complex

Parts, so many

Molecules.


As I step through the water,

The next challenge

In my life,

My left knee bent toward

My right leg,

My arms tight

Against my sides,

My eyes crossed, yet seeing so much;

My left foot, turned inward though it is;

Strikes the water

Shatters my reflection

And I smile

The watery reflection never represented me,

Truly,

anyway. 


I am like water.

Content with who

I am,

Made up of

So many things,

Seemingly simple,

I can offer so much 

To the world

If only people see

Past my reflection.