Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Break Me

 I try so hard

Is it ever

Enough?

I will

Not break in front of you

I try to tell myself...

I am

Unshakable 

Unbreakable!

But am I 

Enough

When I shatter

Inside

Their comments

Are like a sharp

Knife

Piecing me apart

One by one

Hurting me, tearing me

but I

am the only one who knows.

An intake of breath

A silent

Reminder

My head stops

Pounding

and I am me

again.

Torn by the whispers,

Broken by the stares,

I

Am not

Myself.

Letting them 

Make me

A follower

I am a leader

My own thoughts 

My own standards

Separate from theirs

I refuse to shatter.

I will not break

They can

Taunt me

Tease me

They can

Cut me

With their laughs

I am stronger.

My heart may break

My mind may clash

But I will remain

Myself.

Who else

Could I be?